Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Train wreck

My children did something the other day that shocked me and rocked me to my core. My oldest son sat back and watched as his younger brother struggled to complete his math homework. I know that I am raising my children to be good people so tell me why did my older son not help his brother when he clearly saw that he needed help. Have we as a people gotten so used to turning our heads the other way when we see someone in trouble. Answer this question. How many times have you been driving and you saw a car on the side of the road with the hazards on. How many times have you stopped to offer help. Just last week I was that car on the side of the road. It was maybe 32 degrees outside and I had three of my children in the car. My car just quit on me and my cell phone was dead. No car charger. No charge to my car battery. No heat with a one, four and ten year old in the car. Can you believe we were stuck out there for FIVE hours and no one came to help me. I went so far as to making an S.O.S sign. We had no food, nothing to drink and it was to far and to cold to walk anywhere. My oldest son started crying and asked my why is this happening to us. I told him because people have fallen far from what we used to be. Eventually I decided to get out and walk with my children at night, in the cold. Someone did then pick us up and take us home. If it were not for that man I was going to give up all hope in humans. The funny thing about it is the same son that had to go through the ordeal with me watched his brother struggle just like we did that day. I spoke with my children that day and explained the importance of helping everyone who you see needing help. Everyone can help in a small or a big way. Just help and maybe we can restore ourselves back to being human.

1 comment:

  1. i'm a friend of odessa and she recommended we support your blog. i'm glad she did. what a powerful post! keep writing.

    ReplyDelete